In this article, we dive into this residential roofing project that involves transforming a leaking modified bitumen roof into a reliable and visually appealing solution. In this project, we had the opportunity to work on a unique residential property with a flat roof and a Mansard, typically seen in commercial settings. Continue reading as we discuss our roof replacement solution for this residential home, using a commercial roofing system.
Identifying the Issues:
- Our client reached out to us with concerns about their existing modified bitumen roof, which was experiencing multiple leaks. The roof was about 20 years old. Additionally, they wanted to replace a skylight, adding another layer of complexity to the project. We always recommend adding a skylight in the roof replacement process, as it allows for more natural light in the home.
Focus on the Flat Roof:
- To tackle the project effectively, we started with the flat portion of the roof. The entire surface was covered with a 60 mil TPO (Thermoplastic Olefin) roof, ensuring durability and longevity.
Comprehensive Roof Replacement:
- One of the unique aspects of this project was the presence of four different levels of flat roof. We took on the challenge by completely redoing each level, paying meticulous attention to detail.
Fully Adhered TPO Installation:
- For the flat roof sections, we chose a fully adhered TPO installation method. This means that every square inch of the TPO membrane was carefully glued down to the substrate, ensuring a secure and watertight seal.
The Transformation of the Mansard:
- Moving to the Mansard area, we encountered a cedar shake roofing system that needed to be addressed. The existing cedar shake was removed, and we proceeded to apply a high-temperature ice and water shield called Poly Stick. This decision was based on our commitment to protect against extreme heat conditions commonly experienced in Texas.
Installing the Starter Strip:
- To enhance the durability and wind resistance of the Mansard roof, we opted for a product called Diamond Steel. This 26-gauge metal strip features interlocking pieces that create a robust structure capable of withstanding high winds up to 130 miles per hour. Moreover, the Diamond Steel starter strip is classified as a Class 4 roof, providing superior protection and potentially reducing insurance costs. To read more about the product, click here.
This residential roofing project showcased our expertise in transforming a leaking modified bitumen roof into a reliable and visually appealing solution. By utilizing a fully adhered TPO installation for the flat roof sections and implementing a high-temperature ice and water shield for the Mansard, we ensured long-lasting durability and protection against the elements. This roofing system now has lifetime labor and shingle warranty to put the client at ease. If you’re in need of professional roofing services in McKinney, don’t hesitate to reach out to us. Our Performance Roofing team offices out of McKinney Texas, and serves the entire North Texas region.
Thank you for reading our article on this residential roof renovation and transformation, with a commercial roofing system. Stay tuned for more exciting projects and added value content from our Performance Roofing in McKinney team, serving DFW.